View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd wait until there's evidence of confusion before changing your "argot." I have a hard time imagining anyone (anyone capable of helping/contributing to the thread, that is) who wouldn't be easily capable of determining what you meant by "weight." No need to cater to pedantry on every occasion.
True, but its still a poor word choice for use on a forum such as MR where many users use the Search function to find threads that may help them with their own issues. When a non-standard term is used it's not likely that that same non-standard term will be included in part of the search criteria.

Using non-standard terms hinders other users from finding the information later and is effectively anti-social. Helpful members that reply to such initial posts should provide the proper "translation" as part of their response (e.g. "By 'weight' I presume you mean 'file size' ", ...) so that there is some hope that a later Search will find the post.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote