View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Reading outdoors in the daytime you don't need a light at all. Reading after sunset, you need the same amount of light you'd need for a book printed on paper. You can use one of the "headlight" style flashlight (UK: torch) or a clip-on book light. Besides, the headlight would be useful for other night-time tasks other than reading. Therefore, the basic Kindle (listed at 59 UK pounds today at Amazon.co.uk) would be sufficient. Instead of a headlight, you can purchase a cover which contains a light built in. Note that this cover draws power from the Kindle to power the light, so reading a lot in the dark will mean you'll need to charge it more often.

I would guess that the battery life claim on the Amazon site is probably predicated on reading no more than an hour a day -- and without turning on the internal light in the Paperwhite. I read 3-5 hours most days and my Kindle (Gen 3, aka Kindle Keyboard) needs to be charged about once a week to 10 days.

You can side-load books onto the device from your computer, assuming that they are in Mobipocket format and without DRM. Also, immediately after loading new books onto the Kindle, there's a lot of background activity as the books are indexed to support search. So, leave it plugged in overnight after you download new books or push new books from your PC.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote