View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hallelujah !!!! that is the dream. please let us know how it is coming along. karma for that, my friend.
Thank you!

The Mobipocket "container" support is pretty much all done, including a few features I don't think other open source Mobipocket generators have (UTF-8 encoded content and "uncrossable" boundaries for "non-linear" content like footnotes and the table of contents).

Rendering HTML+CSS into Mobipocket mark-up is... going. Not to rag on Mobipocket unnecessarily, but the Mobipocket HTML rendering engine is more limited and quirkier than I would have thought possible . My basic strategy is to emulated full CSS-based rendering for what Mobipocket can support, and emulate CSS-less rendering for what it can't. So the idea is that authors would just write markup which degrades cleanly and not worry about what features are or are not supported. For example, Mobipocket doesn't support floated blocks, so for any floats I also ignore explicit CSS 'display's.

The tricky bits are tables and lists. I was considering ignoring Mobipocket's built-in list support and just rendering them explicitly -- generating sequences based on 'list-style-type' etc. But for that I was trying to use Mobipocket's table support, which is reeeeally quirky. For example: if the specified width of a cell is too small to contain its content, then it just disappears -- poof!, isn't rendered at all.

So anyway, it's getting there .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote