View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I would suggest that a better solution is to:
  • Use the Calibre 'Copy Library' to move all the files that Calibre knows about to a new location. This will get all the books that Calibre is happy with into the new location, and leave behind book files that are not referenced in the current Calibre database.
  • Use the calibre 'Add Books' facility to add these left behind books back into the new Calibre library.
Thanks itimpi

I did consider that option, but I was put off by the numbers

It looks like the Copy Library would read/write/delete ~14,000 books
Which means the Add Books would read/write ~47,000 books

That will take a lot longer than than an in-situ database rebuild, especially on a USB 2.0 drive. It's also 2 steps rather than one, and I couldn't see any offsetting advantages in a two-step approach.

If an in-situ rebuild doesn't work we can then try the two-step approach, because we'll definitely have a backup of metadata.db.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote