View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Is it legal to strip DRM? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished Sony because I'm tired of waiting for B&N to come out with a new nook. In the mean time I've got over 100 free books in my B&N library(most of which are classics). I just want to make sure that stripping the DRM isn't illegal. Thanks for any info.
The legality depends on who you ask and where you are. In the US, hosting the tools to remove DRM is illegal. Using the tools to remove DRM from your own books that you don't share hasn't been tested yet. Advocates of fair use say that it is legal because it allows you to use something you've purchased. The publishers would say that it's not because they want to be able to either sell the same book to you several times or lock you in to one format.

If your library is free classics, it's probably best to download the books from here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline). None of these books have DRM issues and the formatting is often better than you'd get from the bookstores anyway.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote