View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
85% of the books I want to read aren't available yet as e-books. That's the main thing.

Of those books, about 50% aren't easily adapted to the epub format (bilingual editions, intricate layouts, macrostructures dependent on page flipping, extensive footnotes, etc.). That's incredibly sad. I worry about the survival of elaborately designed books.

Even so, I read ebooks predominantly at this point and strive to replace as many of my physical books as I can with electronic editions.

Here's why:

Space. I've lived in houses so cluttered with books that getting to the front door was like crawling through a crowd of teetering fragile pagodas. I can't ever do that again. It just isn't healthy.

So, yes, I prefer physical books in terms of the variety of formats. But their physicality is a tremendous burden and, what's more, ebooks are as slender and hypoallergenic as the e-reader one chooses and strives to keep clean.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote