View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #19
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
I bought two ebooks yesterday and really thought about returning one. The sample was really good and I was really into it and at $2.99 I thought "Why not?"

Then I get the book and started really reading it and it was basically all over the place. People running around being stupid and whatever, and then I realized that even though it was written in the first person, it kept switching tenses which kind of drove me crazy.

Can you do first person past tense, and would you want to? It's so confusing, then to switch that around about ten times... Or worse, someone writes in first person, then throws in every once and awhile a third person point of view or whatever because they like forget that it's supposed to be first person.
Rapid and unexplained point-of-view shifts make my brain ache. I might have considered requesting a return on that as well, if the actual text was so radically different from the sample. I think that would be one of the few instances where returning would be acceptable, in my view.
Eisengoth is offline   Reply With Quote