View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There are plenty of published reports that it was Apple that "suggested" the Agency model to the Price-Fix Five. It's the model they use on iTunes so by getting publishers to adopt it they could use their existing processes and not have to keep two separate processes for apps/music/video and ebooks.
Yes, but not every reference says this, and I've seen people arguing on other threads that it's the publishers rather than Apple who instigated this. So it was in my list of things that were interesting about what the article said.

I'm not convinced that it was done to retain one iTunes model. My impression was that Apple mainly wanted to ensure that nobody else sold books cheaper than them (especially Amazon!)
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote