View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I got one of these just yesterday, just by going to a page from a Google link. The popup was from AVASoft Pro
Or so it claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
--extremely annoying, because it blocks any executable file. I hadn't clicked on the popup at all--I had tried to close the browser, though. I got rid of it by downloading Malwarebytes on another computer and running it on the infected computer from a flash drive.
In many cases, you can boot to safe mode, or even to a different user account, to get in to System Restore. Though one that blocks exes is rather more serious than most drive-bys. It certainly doesn't hurt to have some kind of live CD or bootable flash drive with AV software on it, though. I do recall one, though, that by the time the AV software got rid of it, it has borked the network stack, and nothing short of a full formate and reinstall would fix it.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote