View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I was 4 years old when we moved to Philly. The corner grocery had a box of cover-free used comic books. I had a choice of spending my candy money on comics or bubble gum. The comics lasted longer. Some of the stories are still with me. It helped that a lot of them were LEGION of SUPER-Heroes from the Edmund Hamilton and Otto Binder era.

Once I got hooked, I read everything I got close to. Fiction, non-fiction, references, news. World Almanacs (cover to cover), encyclopedias, and old books wherever I found them. Not always at the library. One of the neighborhood kids had old LONE RANGER books (text, not comics) at which point I caught on: TV and movies came from books. From there it was just a jump to Jules Verne and other adventure classics.

By the time I was 14 I discovered the Science Fiction Book club and got a quick education in the genre (courtesy of the Science Fiction Hall of fame Volume 1, Foundation Trilogy, and Stranger in a Strange land) followed by Princess Of Mars and the entire ERB paperback catalog from ACE and Ballantine. Some summers I racked up two books in one day.

Looking back, I was just lucky to run into the right material at the right age.

Anyway, in my case at least I know the afinity is genetic and comes from both sides of the family. When I first visited a paternal uncle I'd never met (in my 20's) I found a loaded bookshelf full of books I was familiar with. My siblings read, my mother reads non-stop, and most of my cousins. Doesn't mean everybody reads SF but the smarter ones do.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote