View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #87
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Ahh...This is one of the things I wanted to talk about...thanks for reminding me.

This is the first I've heard of the magic vs electricity issue. I don't mind it that much, although, it does seem like a "let's make Harry's life miserable" plat device, at times. I can not remember specific instances, but there seemed to be some inconsistency in the first 2 books.
Based on your comments, sounds like inconsistency continues to be a problem in the following books as well. That's unfortunate.

I agree with you about it being odd (and somewhat unbelievable) that no wizardry governing body has come up with solution. Its highly inconvenient to have the lights blown out on you in the middle of a line-of-sight spell, unless those do not exist. Plus, in his line of work, a cellphone would come in pretty handy!
I agree that it's a minor plot device along the "my life sucks, lights blow out on me and I have to take cold showers" vein. It almost seems like the equivalent of a private dick with an ex-wife or a police Captain who hates him. But mostly it seems strange that other magic-wielding creatures, many more powerful than Harry, don't brown-out entire city blocks whenever they come calling.

And yes, inconsistent: If he affects sophisticated electronics, I don't see how he can use a telephone, even an old one; they've had transistorized parts since the fifties.

(If Jim Butcher's looking at this, he's probably rolling his eyes and mumbling nasty incantations at me right now...)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 09-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote