View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #95
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Has anyone mentioned the Robots series by Asimov?

Though it's not necessarily the best of anything, I think Bear's Forge of God is a lot of fun. I hope somebody adapts it for the screen now that CGI makes it possible.

Another shout out to The Sparrow.

I agree that Clarke is better at originating ideas than fleshing them out in fiction forms. His books feel sterile. Similarly, Gibson leaves me cold. I can't finish anything by Stephenson because it feels like he's too impressed with his own pyrotechnics and expansive research. Oddly, I tolerate this in "literary fiction" but not in sci fi.

I confess I havent read many of the classics due to certain prejudices. For ex, the martial tone of Starship Troopers (and director Verhoven's satirical take) turned me off to Heinlein altogether. I haven't read Dune because the whole spice trading thing reminds me of those RTS games I have little patience for. Dumb, I know, but my deciding on what to read often hinges on such whims.

Last edited by Barty; 08-14-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote