View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Why I Didn't Preorder the Nook

I thought about it. And this morning I received an e-mail from B&N encouraging me to preorder. I even went to the website and put one in the cart. But then I removed it and moved on.

Other than getting free overnight shipping and being first in the neighborhood, what's the advantage to preordering? None that I can see.

I'm a member of the B&N discount club -- have been for years -- and I buy several thousand dollars worth of hardcovers every year. But the discount is not applicable to the Nook. So no price reason to preorder.

Well perhaps I could save on accessories, like buying a missing cover or getting an extended warranty. Nope -- discount membership doesn't work there either.

Well it would be nice to get the Nook early as I like to shop at B&N. But what if I get it and find that my Sony 505 is far better for me or that I really should buy the iRex 800 or the Sony Daily Edition? Yes, I can return the Nook within 14 days (even Amazon gives you 30 days) but it will cost me at least $38.85 (15%) in restocking fee and B&N reserves the right to charge me for the "free" overnight shipping. And what about the cover -- I'm afraid to ask. I'm not willing to pay $40+ to see whether I like the device just so I can be first in the neighborhood.

So no preorder. I'll wait to see the unit in the store and if i like it, I'll buy one then. The price will be the same (maybe B&N will change its mind about the discount) so there is nothing to lose by waiting.

B&N should have made it better for club members.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote