View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I know what you mean, but in this case it's probably the right thing to do - the margin is there to give a little gap between the edge of the display and the start of the text to cope with slight mis-alignments, shadows from bezels, etc. This probably needs to be the same (small) amount whatever size of display, or size of text.
hm, yes and no. that's definitely one important reason for a margin, and probably the only reason most ebook readers care about. but a margin is also important to give some "white space" to the text, which allows your eye to circulate more easily and improves reading comfort (also, more white space gives a more classy and "luxurious" feel to a layout ; cheap books use small margins partly because they can fit more text on fewer pages, and pay for less paper. with ebooks we don't have to worry about paying for paper, we can have "luxury" on every book. ). so if i *can* allow myself a somewhat wider margine, because i have a larger screen to take advantage of, i'm very happy to do so. in that case percentage makes sense. especially since i was making my epubs with about a 10-15px margin for a while ; i'm starting to find that too small now, but i still make relatively small margins because a 6" screen is not that wide. if one day i'm reading these same books on a larger screen i'll be very happy to see wider margins. (i know that some people would find 10px already too wide).