View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
That's the problem with comparisons between Palm and PPC OS stuff like that. The reviewers, are usually only one sided or heavily sided on one platform or another.

In Chaos' point, he's right. Palm OS DOES allow you to install applications to the memory card directly, and without using third party applications. Going through the HotSync versions, Palm OS 4 and corresponding Desktop Software (Palm hardware model) you were required to use third party software, but it could be done. But when Palm went to OS 5, it was a whole new game. And they quickly worked out the glitches, too.

Now the issue that I have, now that I'm on PPC platform myself, is that with PPC, you have a Registry on the handheld. In theory, it's a GREAT and wonderful concept. Heck, in most situations it's even nice. But the software in practice and application however, heavily uses that registry. This is a PAIN in the butt, because, if you install an application to the SD card, for example, and Hard Reset your handheld, you STILL HAVE TO REINSTALL THE APPLICATIONS ON THE CARD. This is a waste of time, in my opinion. Note: I have not extensively tested this, so there may well be a lot of applications that dont fit in my example.

And this is where I fit in to my own example at top. I'm still heavily PalmOS centric, despite now having switched to a PPC handheld. Go figure. :-)
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote