View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Lupa
Lupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneR View Post
Being rather new to Calibre I have nothing much to add other than I have no issues with thumbnails being sent to my 650 with versions .35 and .36.

The only issues I did have was Claibre not being able to update the cover on the device if it was a DRM file (not the fault of Calibre). But, the original cover was always displayed.
All my ePub books still have DRM and I never had any problems loading different covers from Calibre into thumbnails for these files until the last 2 releases. The problem I have now is I either need to strip all of my DRM books or stay with 0.7.34 and miss out on the new metatag interface etc. I understand Calibre works better without DRM but I have found it great for just managing my DRM ebook library and loading them onto my reader with covers until now. If I wanted to read on my PC the book would just open with ADE and not the viewer within Calibre.

Quote:
So it works exactly as I thought, which is good because if I ever buy a 650 all of my 4500+ books will create perfect thumbnails since they are all epub and have a properly designated cover.

No reason to stay at 0.7.34 (unless you really want to) just convert your books to ePub so the cover gets properly embedded.

To each his or her own.
All of my books are in ePub but they are all still protected. Most if not all of my books have rubbish cover art embedded within the epub and I prefer the proper covers I have downloaded in Calibre.

Quote:
There is no easy way to distinguish which reader model is connected and whether that model has firmware that supports separate thumbnails or not.

So, thumbnails have been removed from the driver, as pointed out, simply convert your files to epub to update the cover. You may need to do an epub to epub conversion if already in epub.
This means stripping DRM which can take ages if you have a lot of books and its questionable if its legal in some places. I can see how this could be a problem for my Sony PRS-505 though and I understand you need to support as many devices as possible. I'll just stay with 0.7.34 for the time being as it's so much easier, it's also quicker because it saves time after loading books onto my reader as it does not need to keep refreshing covers for new books I have added.

Thanks for all your support

Last edited by Lupa; 01-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Lupa is offline   Reply With Quote