View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #894
besnef
besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.besnef is no ebook tyro.

Device: Android Phone
I found this plugin a few weeks ago and was thrilled (it updates!). I haven't even scratched the surface of all the things I can do and configure with it.

It also gave me the chance to solve a problem. My mother wants to save stories (and eventually read them on a separate device) from the new 'blog style' fanfiction forum at InDeath.net and I was looking for a good way to let her create epub files from the stories.

So I wrote an adapter for that (it's a bit metadata light but there's not that much available).

I also wrote one for jlaunlimited.com (just because I happened to want a story from there and it was low-hanging fruit: a very standard efiction site).

And, because I like to torture myself, I took a shot at one of the sites that was listed as 'no one wants to do this one because it's a pain in the neck' that was also a site I wanted some stories from: dwiggie.com.

The dwiggie.com plugin needs modification to handle the alternate url formats for older stories but is otherwise functional. It is, however, very ugly. That site has multiple chapters per page and so to parse them out requires traversing all the pages just to get the chapters, listing 'fake' urls for the separate parts and processing each page as many times as there are chapters on the page (and also searching two separate index pages for the metadata). So it is fairly unkind to the server and still not perfect with the chapter separation (it expects a full horizontal rule between chapters and processes some notes sections as chapters) but it does work.

If anyone can think of a better way to solve this problem let me know!

So, what now?