View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Sorry to hear about your change of heart. You seemed so excited over the 600. I know you mentioned you liked the 505 better because you like the light wedge cover more and you didn't use any of the touch screen functions of the 600. I was wondering if the reflectiveness/contrast also had anything to do with your dislike of it?
Yes, the reflectiveness was a big problem for me. My eyes found it hard to focus on the words through the reflections. I could only read using my clip-on light - that seemed to minimize the reflections. However, I found it very difficult to juggle everything so that I could use my finger to flip the page on the touch screen. I guess I could have used the page turn buttons to change the page, but why buy the new unit if I'm just going to turn pages with a button? Maybe it would have worked better for me if I got the new cover with light, but I really didn't want to spend another $60 for that only to discover I still didn't like the 600.

The contrast wasn't a problem as much as the reflections. Once I got everything lighted properly, the contrast seemed okay. I did notice that the 600 screen seemed grayer than my 505 screen. I also noticed ghosting on the 600 screen that I don't see on the 505 screen. It's much more like the old 500 screen in that respect. I especially noticed the ghosting if I turned the reader off while it was displaying the home menu. I could really see the after-image of the little squares of information of the home screen. I could also see ghost lines where the text had been when I turned it off while it was displaying a page of text.

I'm really disappointed. I REALLY wanted this thing, and I really want to like it. I just don't like it enough to justify the $300 when my red 505 is less than a year old.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote