View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by luthar28 View Post
I recently did an export from InDesign to Epub. Seems to work really nicely (before, I was only given a press-ready PDF...which made it a lot more difficult).

Anyhow, InDesign even embeds the fonts. Generally speaking, is this okay to do? Will these embedded fonts cause some readers to not display correctly? Or does this break any best practices rules?

The press I'm working for puts a lot of work into their books in regards to design, so if I could actually use their chosen fonts (title headers mostly) I'd like to do it -- but not at the expense of ruining it in certain readers.
Firstly, I don't know that there are any 'best practice rules'. There are a lot of opinions, but they vary from person to person.

Secondly, my personal preference is that publishers NOT embed fonts in body of the text - for headers and title pages and so on is fine, but not the rest of the text. I very much like to have the option of choosing among the font families that my ebook reading devices offer me, rather than be forced to read using someone else's favourite font.

Thirdly, I suggest that you say to yourself three times before brushing your teeth 'ebooks are not print books'.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote