View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Astro
Astro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Split PDF pages into smaller pages (images into tiles)

I have PDF files that are maritime charts, For example this one from the Delaware Bay
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletC...art_HomeEd.pdf

There is a lot of detailed information in the image. When I show them on a monitor the details are shown. When I put them on the Nook they are sized to fit the Nook screen (about 3*5) and all the details are lost. Since the Nook pdf reader does not have a zoom feature, the charts are unreadable.

I'd like to convert them to fit on the Nook screen(600*800px). This means the images would need to be sliced into multiple images. (ie a single image (page) would get split into 5 rows and 4 columns) In a perfect world they would get converted with a slight overlap, left to right, top to bottom. I could then page through the smaller slices to find the section I need.

I had used PaperCrop in the past to convert two col PDF's (highly recommended) but it can't do anything with the images. I've found tools that will convert the pages to images but not split them. ImageMagick does a lot with combining images, but I didn't see any split options to split the image into tiles.

Windows program preferred.

Thanks!

(OTOH if someone has a PDF reader for the Nook that does zoom, that would be a good solution also)
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote