View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #82
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird
one problem, though, is that _they_ have your data, and you don't. so you can't take it elsewhere, to another system, for suggestions.
Agreed. Unfortunately, lots of people have to give their data to *some* kind of system to get the recommendations we want. I suppose one way to make this better would be to have some kind of format you could extract your preferences in (something in XML, probably) that you could use to upload to some other source (or hold privately).

Actually, it might be possible to take a booklist on your own system and repeatedly ping the Amazon (or other) site, looking for recommendations, parse them out of the HTML, then compile them locally. I was thinking about this a while back when I bought a copy of ReaderWare (a program that lets you scan the ISBN codes off of books that have them and looks up all kinds of great data on them). Amazon has an interface used by affiliates, I just haven't had time to look into how to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird
but notice, if you will, how the original "problem" -- that we will be overwhelmed by so much unenjoyable garbage that we won't be able to find the "needles in the haystack" -- has been turned on its head, such that now we're worried that we'll be handed so many "needles" that we don't bother to look though the "haystack" any more at all...
That's a problem I'm willing to try to live with!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote