View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here are the results of talking to a courteous Kindle representative:

Me:My Kindle 3g (keyboard) has developed a crack - about 3/4 of an inch, along one of the letters on the keyboard. T

Prashant:Hello Donald, my name is Prashant. I'm sorry to hear that your Kindle keyboard is damaged.

Me:Thank you. To be clear: I did not, however, damage it.

Prashant:Can you remember if the Kindle was dropped anytime or any physical pressure got applied on the device that might have caused this?

Me:No. I guard this thing very, very carefully. This is a KNOWN problem. (Also, if you'll check my history, you'll see that I've purchased plenty of Kindles - and with no previous problems.)
--- The only physical pressure is holding the device.

Prashant:Physical damages to the keyboard are very rare issues.
We will still be happy to replace your Kindle.
Even though your Kindle is no longer covered under the 1-year warranty, we will be able to create the replacement for a discounted price plus shipping.

Me:They may be very rare, based upon the millions sold. However, I am a Moderator at Mobileread.com, and we have a thread on this known issue.

Prashant:Also, you can have your replacement upgraded to a Kindle Touch, with 1-Year warranty.

Me:I HAVE a Kindle touch - a Paperwhite. Again, please check my purchase history. I'm not one to casually want replacements. This one, however, is faulty.

Prashant:I've checked your account and we do appreciate your business, Donald.
Please understand, the device is currently out of warranty, hence, we are unable to issue a free replacement.

Me:Kindle needs to do something about this stress cracks that have developed on Kindles.
I simply want a replacement for this device.

Prashant:I'll make sure to forward your feedback to our Kindle Team.

Me:I'm afraid I need more of a guarentee (spelling) than that.

Prashant:Would you like me to provide you with the replacement options?

Me:Yes. What are the options available for something that is not my fault?

Prashant:1. Certified Refurbished Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers - $74
2. Certified Refurbished Kindle Touch 3G (ATT), Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers - $104

Me:This is very unsatisfactory. I shall report this conversation fully with my MobileRead.com readers. --- Remember: this is a known problem. Perhaps you are too new to realize this?

Prashant:Alright. Let me just discuss this with my supervisor, who has been working with Amazon since before me, and check if this is indeed a known problem.
Could you please give me a couple of minutes?

Me:That would be appreciated.
Yes. Thank you.

Prashant:Thank you for being on hold, Donald.

Me:Additional purchase information: My Kindle 3g (with WiFi) was purchased for $250. It includes NO special offers and advertisments, which is certainly more desirable to me.
You're welcome.

Prashant:I just discussed this issue with my supervisor and I'm sorry but this is not a known problem with the devices and we are unable to make any exceptions with the replacement.

Me:As I mentioned, I am a Moderator at MobileRead.com. THIS IS A REPORTED KNOWN ISSUE. I will make this conversation available for dissemination and further discussion. Your supervisor - frankly - is in error.
You've been very courteous, and I appreciate this fact.

Prashant:Thank you.
I do realize this may be disappointing for you and I wish I had better news.

Me:Thank you for your time. Have your supervisor (or the person above him/her) to take a look at our website: MobileRead.com. ---- The Kindle forum is the busiest forum for ebook-reading devices.
------ Goodbye.

Prashant:I'll make sure to forward the forum to our Kindle Team.

Me:Thank you.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote