View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #137
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It brings up an interesting question: Has this changed anyone's reading habits?

There are certainly any number of "classic" works I've always meant to read, but money to buy them and time to read them have generally been in too short a supply. With ebook reading devices and good quality electronic copies of public domain texts widely available, the second problem largely goes away, and the first problem is lessened. With a reading device that goes with me anywhere, I can open a classic and read whenever I have a few spare minutes, like in transit on a subway. (I can do that with a pbook, too, but there are limits to what I can/want to carry when out.)

I'm certainly reading a lot more stuff I wouldn't have before ebooks, though the "classics" tend to be non-fiction - history, philosophy, essays and the like. I haven't quite summoned up the energy and desire to read War and Peace (and have no idea how good the PD translations are.)

What has been the experience of others?
______
Dennis
A few years ago I read everything by Arthur Conan Doyle and most of Edgar Rice Burroughs on a Palm Pilot, mostly because they were free and I was doing a lot of commuter flying at the time. It nicely filled those one or two hour waits at the terminal for a half hour flight.

That, incidentally was my entry into world of e-reading. I've never looked back!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote