View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Miller View Post
Thanks,eschwartz. I'd rather just have an e-reader where I can more easily download books from independent bookstores, without having to convert them, but this is veering off topic.
You will still have to remove the DRM from them...

When you Send to device with calibre, it will auto-convert the book to a supported format, save the new format to your library, and upload it to your device. Conversions are usually pretty snappy.

When you send an Adobe DRM ebook to your Kobo, you must use Adobe Digital Editions, and I believe it will re-encrypt the book specially for your device. Each time you send it. Adding overhead for every time you want to add a book to your ADE DRM ereader. Or so I've heard, I only have a Kindle. And from using ADE (when I must) I have the experience that ADE is slower than calibre to begin with...

Anyway, back on topic -- I can only speak of Kindles, since that is what I have experience with, but highlighting/annotating in a PDF (using Amazon's built-in PDF viewer) is no different than highlighting/annotating in a .mobi/.azw3 although like all sideloaded books nothing is synced with Amazon's servers.

As markom said, it must be OCR'ed or have embedded text (because otherwise there is nothing to highlight).

I don't know what kindlepdfviewer/koreader does for highlighting.

You can run Android on the Kobo Glow, and from there install basically any Android apps I suppose. See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225940
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote