Thread: MobileRead June 2013 Book Club Nominations
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #48
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis still needs a third. I've long been intrigued by Jefferson. His strengths, weaknesses, and contradictions make for absorbing reading. Even when choosing my food at buffets, I think of Jefferson and what Jefferson portrayer Clay Jenkinson said was his preference: "Just enough meat to season the vegetables." Doesn't anyone want to read about this fascinating man of inspiring noble ideas and feet of clay?
I will third this.

We were at American Village, which is a historical museum / educational facility near Birmingham Alabama, in April and saw a short presentation by an actor who was in character as a young Thomas Jefferson and it was quite fascinating, so I am intrigued by this nomination. It is available from my library as an ebook or hard copy, with only one person in line before me for the Kindle version. I have been intending to read more non-fiction this year anyway, so I will read this regardless.

I am sure this is just whoever wrote the blurb's fault not the author's, but this line in the blurb turned me off a little...
Quote:
his auspicious death (on July 4, 1896)
Hard to take a biography seriously if they don't even have the date of his death right.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote