View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #38
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I was a born reader. My folks were big readers and we always had shelves of books and magazines were always coming in the mail. I learned to read early and it was every bit as good as I expected it to be.
Same for me. My parents didn't have a TV room, they had a library that had an old cabinet black-and-white TV in it. The television was tuned by bunny ears to PBS. Entertainment was expected to come from books. My parents were and are both big readers, and before I learned to read, I used to listen as they read aloud chapter books (Pern and Tolkien spring to mind). No "Goodnight Moon" for me.

My grandparents on both sides were also huge readers. I have only one left and she'll be 90 later this month but she still walks to the library at her care center every two days to exchange novels.

I was reading chapter books by first grade and loving every imagination expanding minute of it.

Some how it took my kid brother until he got a smart phone at 25 to develop a love of reading and doing so for pleasure. He only reads eBooks and only on his phone and Android tablet.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote