View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #106
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I have an extensive library and for a while I was using 1dollarscan to transcribe many of my (as yet unread) books to digital format. Then my son-in-law pointed out that you could locate a free eBook version of almost any book online, and that as I owned the original I would not breach copyright if I saved time and expense by downloading such books. I ran this past our legal department and they agreed, as long as I already owned the book, how I obtained a digital copy wasn't relevant.

This might not apply in all jurisdictions, but I fail to why it wouldn't. You buy a licence for the copyrighted material when you purchase something, not the medium used to provide it.
Did your legal department say that you needed to retain the physical copy as well? And if you don't--if you sell it or give it away or even lose it--how does that affect the legality of the digital copy, in their opinion?