View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #15
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Perhaps, but it sounds like in this case that a lot of the scanlation sites are actually commercial interests and "pirates" in a more appropriate sense of the word than it is normally used -- namely, collecting profits off of the work of others.

This is no longer exclusively a fan-driven enterprise that serves to spread the word; many sites are commercial enterprises that collect revenues from a variety of methods (including ads and membership fees), hence the recent actions. Seems like the manga publishers turned a blind eye to this when it really was small-scale fan sites.

I would also hope that they'll translate more manga. However, such activities are typically incremental in nature (since I doubt manga publishers can afford to quadruple the number of titles to translate into, say, 10 languages, all in one shot). It's also positive news, which doesn't get as much press as a negative event like a law enforcement action.
And that part is wrong. The scanlation groups are silent and quiet. Most of them exsist of a wordpress page and an IRC channel, nothing more. The thing you are talking about are the site who 'steal' the manga from the scanlation groups, and put them on their website, so you can view it online. (Just like streaming video's) And they need to pay for the huge server costs for the bandwith, so they have adds. The scanlation groups are all for the fun. No-one gets any money. I've been there, and I know it. There's zero money.
tehKitten is offline   Reply With Quote