View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Why stop there? Why not switch from a visual medium to an audio one?

By far the most effective way I've found to proofread my writing is to activate some kind text-to-speech system on my computer and have it read what I've written back to me. Usually, I'll read the thing at the same time. Mistakes are very easy to find when a misspelled work is mispronounced, or a missing word is skipped when spoken.
A very good point! I've also read my work aloud to catch errors. And a fellow who works for me and is brilliant at the technical aspects of our job is an awful writer, and I've advised him to read his writing out loud as part of proofreading.

Audio versus print is definitely a different medium and engages the brain differently. Perhaps this does apply to the screen. eInk is supposed to give the advantages of paper. I'd be interested in a well-designed study to see if there are differences in comprehension between eInk and paper!
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote