View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I just looked on my nook, and the only files that are PDB is the dictionary. The rest are all epub, which I did not expect since I know that some of the books I bought a few months ago were PDB, but at some point B&N changed to epub.

That said, however, I want to buy a PRS300 as the nook is awk to hold and carry, and the software is rather buggy, internet webpages slow, battery life poor when wifi is on, and the touch screen blinks at me a lot even though I turned off the auto brightness. I am thinking of selling it as I don't have the patience to wait for updates to correct the problems. I had a 505 and loved it, but sold it before the battery needed replacement.
Just be warned that Sony's implementation of ADE (the part that reads ePUBs) is just north of horrible. There are no headers, even when they appear in the document (I tried a B&N book as a test). It also does not justify the text, regardless of the formatting flags in the ePUB. And it prints these silly page numbers on the right/center that sometimes overlaps with the actual book text!

This is why I am still a fan of LRF, as it formats very nicely on the Sony Readers (I swear I'm considering applying for a job at Sony just to fix this mess!). I don't use Calibre, but I'm betting it converts ePUB to LRF. In which case, you're fine. You also want to make sure you can use the B&N ePUB de-DRM program on all the books you've already purchased, since you can't use DRMed B&N ePUBs on the Sony Reader.

The PRS-300 is $149 just about everywhere right now, though. So if your mind is already made up, this is the time to buy! (I just got a PRS-505, and am still tempted by the low priced PRS-300!)

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote