View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Putra View Post
I am a Malaysian who will be buying PRS-300 when I go over to US in Aug. And I have set up OpenVPN in my pc to hide my IP address. However, I know that the other hurdle in buying ebooks is my non-US credit card. How do I overcome this issue? If I register using a US address (for my M'sian credit card) will that be enough or will they still check on that and discover that my card is not US based?

Help! I don't want to buy the reader and find it useless outside US! Malaysia currently doesn't have a bookshop retailing ebooks..

Mel
I've had my Sony reader for a couple of months now and so far it's only the Sony store that requires a work-around in order to buy books. Basically, I have a friend buy me gift cards for the Sony store. First time you buy something, you're asked to give your address, which must be in the US. I have a US credit card, but what seems to trip me up buying from the Sony store is the fact that the billing address on that card is not in the US.

But you can still buy from Kobo, Waterstones, WH Smith and other "multi-reader" e-book stores that sell epub format reading material. You won't find your Reader useless outside the US at all. Just give some thought to which country you want to register it as being "native" in. (Not sure about the US version, but the Reader I bought through the UK had a whole list of countries you could register - it's apparently your choice.)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote