Thread: PRS-300 5 Second to turn Page!
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
5 Seconds to turn Page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I had this happen on a couple of purchased EPUB on my PRS 505 and I think it comes down to how the EPUB file is formatted. You could try selecting a smaller chunk size when converting to EPUB with calibre (its in the EPUB output settings) or just use LRF instead of EPUB and this should fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
In calibre go to "convert eBook" then click on "ePub output" you should see a section "split files larger than" make sure it is set to 260 KB. Then convert to the file again to epub

That should fix your problem
Thanks to both of you for the quick response! I immediately checked the chunk size but unfortunately it was already set to 260KB. I was thinking about knocking it down to 240KB but in the Calibre instruction it states:

"The default of 260KB is the size required for Adobe Digital Editions"

I wasn't sure if that statement meant anything other than 260KB would cause a problem with Adobe Digital Editions or not, so I left the setting at 260KB, but went ahead and let Calibre do the ePub convert again (although the book as already a ePub document when I originally downloaded it). I then plugged the reader in and let Calibre reload it. Bummer... No luck. The page turns are still taking forever. In fact... I'm now another 40 pages past where I was when I originally posted this plea for help and now the page turns are taking 10 seconds!

When I check other books on the reader, the pages turn fast (like they should) but then again I'm only checking the first couple pages. My fear is if I start reading another book then same thing will start happening when I get 50 or 60 pages into it. This is my very first ereader and I've only had it a few days. Very disappointing that the first book I ever try to read with an ereader turns out to be a painful experience.

I can only hope its the format of the specific book I'm reading causing the problem and not a weird Sony software bug... hoping for a firmware update that may never come.
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote