View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
An e-textbook competitor for Amazon

I've been working this evening on a list of companies I want to talk to at Digital Book 2009.

For example, I want to talk to the big 3 textbook publishers mentioned last week in Amazon's press release. I'm planning to ask whether they publish their textbooks in Epub as well as on the Kindle. (What can I say, I have this thing about Amazon not becoming a monopoly.) I personally think it's better to have a textbook in Epub rather than on the Kindle because you can use the full resources of your computer.

I also wanted to talk to Barnes & Noble about the future of the eReader format, as well as see if I can get a hint about a possible device.

As I was writing those notes I realized that here might be a competitor for Amazon in the etextbook market. Barnes & Noble already sells textbooks; it runs 600 college bookstores in the US. It also has an online presence for each bookstore where a student can order books. How difficult could it be to expand the ordering system to include etextbooks?

So, if you're going to DB09, look me up. I want to know if this would work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote