View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, and I tried unsuccessfully to install Calibre (and ADE in a virtual machine), so right now I don't have any real ePUB reader...
If you grab the stand-alone executable version of ADE, it actually runs perfectly fine under Wine.

Quote:
Silly me, I thought a line-height with no units would be a multiple of the current line-height, not just ems...
Alas not... The difference between using ems vs. no units is that with no units cascaded elements will be that multiple of their font-size, no matter what the font size is. With ems, you fix the line-height to a particular measure which then doesn't change with changing font-sizes.

Quote:
Well, I don't care that much that the drop-cap is an exact number of lines (and I'm reluctant to specify a line-height for normal text, that should be set by the reader)
I actually don't think it should be a problem as long as it's an em-based or unitless measure which varries with font-size. Because the spec doesn't specify an exact default value there isn't any other way to get pixel-perfect layouts.

Quote:
For testing purposes, I'm uploaded the modified book (without illustrations, to reduce filesize), I'd be glad to see screenshots from Sony, ADE and Calibre...
I apparently should have tested what I was proposing, and I apologize for not having done so :-/. As already posted, no change. However, playing around with it, I discovered that the culprit is the negative left margin on 'span.first'. I hesitate to theorize why ADE doesn't want to float the float before text which is pulled left of the left margin / into the box occupied by the float, but there you go.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote