Thread: Buy local
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcull View Post
I have a concern with purchasing a Kindle and it involves being able to support the people and businesses I know in my home community.
It's a real concern and it does you credit but there's no answer to the conundrum. Buying books from Amazon puts bookshops out of business. Buying ebooks from a central server puts booksellers out of business. Downloading nicely formatted out-of-copyright books from Mobileread puts booksellers out of business.

And even if your bookseller can download ebooks and sell them, how many people are going to bother to make the trip when they can just press the button at home and probably get it cheaper anyway - about as many as would go and download music from a local store rather than from iTunes.

The world is changing and when that happens, some people lose their current role and sometimes it hurts. Either that or we all get together and say 'No, that's not the world we want. We'll live with the lesser convenience and the higher price for the sake of preserving the neighbourhood.' If you think you can swing it, start organizing now.

Anybody want to buy a buggy whip? Locally made...
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote