View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What is the point of watermarking? Is it just something that will allow the uploaders to file-sharing sites to be identified?

But isn't there still the problem of trying to identify all the pirated files in the first place out of the thousands and thousands of files on such sites?

It seems like watermarking wouldn't be onerous for the average person, but unless my understanding of it is flawed, it still seems rather useless.
Yes, I agree. Watermarking seems (like encryption DRM) to be a solution in search of a problem.

I would like watermarking that had a perk for the person buying the book. e.g. part of the watermark being a nicely formatted bookplate page near the beginning, giving date purchased, where from, price paid, and purchasers name. It could have a generic inscription graphic from the author.

The best 'watermark' I've ever seen was in an excellent freebie from a MobileRead author. See this thread by Vintage Season (M. David Blake). My copy is #164.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote