View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #37
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
It sounds like the displays are not far from been available in products, from what was said in the video I'd expect we'll see products shipping this year that use it. The quality (as everyone here already knows) of reflective displays for reading comfortably combined with the ability to have colour and video makes this tech really interesting imo, to the point where I would put off an iPad purchase to see what products ship this year using it.

Sure you can put off purchases forever waiting for the "next big thing", but if products will be on the shelves by Q3-Q4 of this year, that's not much time to wait for what may be a real change in display tech.

That said, I wouldn't buy an iPad anyway, I don't like the way Apple lock down their products. So the extra wait isn't really a wait for me I've got my Hanlin, but if someone releases a touchscreen tablet using the new display tech and the price isn't outragous, I'll be upgrading
A pixel QI screen looks great for my uses but as you point out maybe waiting till Q4 and then depending on prices I may have to wait till a 2nd gen QI product say Q2 2011, Ill get an iPad now(March) have it for 12 months then see hwat is out their thats better. The only reason I am going to buy an iPad is that there is NO other choice at the moment for MY needs and I dont want to wait.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote