Thread: Smashwords Help
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
My book is not free. It's just free to share, and I give it away free to anyone who asks for a copy. But it's priced 2.99 on Smashwords.

Like Elfwreck, I abhor false statements in books. "Licensed for your personal enjoyment only" is utterly incorrect and completely ignores the very concept of Fair Use, as well as my overarching CC license.

I've sent off an email, but am not hopeful for a resolution. Am considering the following:
Which variation of Creative Commons are you using? I am not at all certain that the "free to share" and "not actually free" conditions are consistent. Do you have any specific examples of Creative Commons being used in the manner you want?

Are you happy for someone to place the ebook on their website to make it easier for their friends to download a copy? IF this is the case then I get the impression you are trying to achieve what the software industry calls "donationware", where users that like the software are asked, but not required, to make a donation to the creator. Since software ends up being distributed from many places the creator generally places a donation link on their website (paypal or similar), sometimes with a suggested amount. Assuming your book directs readers to your website this might cover what you had in mind - and perhaps Smashwords would permit your book to have a statement to this effect beneath the license (ie. not as a license condition, but as a request from the author).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote