Thread: Smashwords Help
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keloff View Post
Got this from the Style guide, under "21c - Add a Smashwords License Statement below Copyright".

I presume the "it's up to you" part means you can use a standard CC license. But yeah, I guess an email's the best way to clear this up.

__
If your book is free, it should still have a license statement. It’s up to you. Do you want
to grant readers the right to redistribute the book for non-commercial purposes, or do you want to restrict the book to their enjoyment only and invite them to ask others to
download the book on their own at Smashwords? Here are two potential suggested
license statements for free books:

Smashwords Edition, License Notes

Thank you for downloading this free ebook. You are welcome to share it with your
friends. This book may be reproduced, copied and distributed for non-commercial
purposes, provided the book remains in its complete original form. If you enjoyed this
book, please return to Smashwords.com to discover other works by this author. Thank
you for your support.

Thank you for downloading this free ebook. Although this is a free book, it remains the
copyrighted property of the author, and may not be reproduced, copied and distributed for commercial or non-commercial purposes. If you enjoyed this book, please encourage
your friends to download their own copy at Smashwords.com, where they can also
discover other works by this author. Thank you for your support.
My book is not free. It's just free to share, and I give it away free to anyone who asks for a copy. But it's priced 2.99 on Smashwords.

Like Elfwreck, I abhor false statements in books. "Licensed for your personal enjoyment only" is utterly incorrect and completely ignores the very concept of Fair Use, as well as my overarching CC license.

I've sent off an email, but am not hopeful for a resolution. Am considering the following:

Quote:
The following "Smashwords Edition, License Notes" statement is required in all novels by the Smashwords distributer. This statement does not reflect the views of the author and does not alter or change the Creative Commons copyright. Please contact the author with any questions.

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you’re reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote