View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_el_nino View Post
I'm sorry to say after having experienced the Reader for 2 months that eink technology is terribly flawed.

When after all the hoopla that this screen is the same or better than a paperback book, it makes you think.

If you have to pay $350 to read dark gray type on a light gray background with lousy contrast, on a fuzzy screen with ghosting problems; and then format and reformat files, while having 4 copies of every book in 4 different format, just in case; and then try 4 or 5 different book lights so you can read 150 characters in 10 seconds and get a cramp in your finger because instead of reading you're turning pages....

I'm sorry... I'm going back to grow with own trees in my own forest and print my own books on my 600 dpi laser printer with black toner and use any font I want with 10 point type.

Sony Reader does not represent a step forward; it's just another exercise in futility.
The text is black and not gray. The screen is not fuzzy. If it was, I'd have returned mine right away. yes the ghosting is a function of eink at present. But really, if you pay attention to the words and not the ghosting, it's not all that bad really. As for having 4 or 5 different formats of a book, that's up to you. I have them in 2 or 3 formats. I have them in the LRF, maybe LIT if that's how I bought it, maybe HTML or text if from Project Gutenberg, maybe HTML or HTML0 depending if I used Book designer or html2lrf to convert. Other then that, I have no need for other finished formats other then LRF and/or LIT. The source files I keep because someday it's possible that the Sony will support more formats or I'll end up with a different reader that I'll need to use the source files for. That's the nature of ebooks at the moment.

I'm sorry you are not happy. But have you really sat down and just read your books instead of looking at the reader? I know you see what you feel are problems when you look at your reader, but if you just look at the words, I think you'll find the problems are not really such problems.

Jon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote