View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #235
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwuser View Post
Hello,
my first question on this forum after reading most of this thread and some others in the developer's corner - I want to make sure I understood things correctly:

Can I use this jailbreak to turn my Kindle PW into an ebook-reader, that does not "phone home" to amazon?

I do have a Kindle PW, "european" model, no-ads, WiFi+3G.
I hate the thought, that Amazon can track what I read, when I read etc.

What I want to achieve in detail is:

- No logging of my data, my collection, my books, their titles, authors etc., things that I upload or delete from the Kindle PW via USB/Calibre
- no "phoning home" of that data
- I still want to have the possibility of buying amazon books online, using 3G and the integrated store on the PW (and yes, I know: these buys are logged, which is part of the deal of shopping online)
- I know about the thread, which warns you to use a "stop phoning home"-modification, that can brick a Kindle Touch (it does not mention the PW...)
- I am not experienced with Linux and the associated programs/language.

In other words: I want the hardware advantages of the PW combined with the software-advantages of an opensource-reader, that keeps my data private.

Is this jailbreak sufficient for this, or what other mod's do I need to achieve that on an Kindle Paperwhite?
This jailbreak is not sufficient (by itself) for this type of blocking.

Installing this jailbreak is a **prerequisite** to making other changes and/or installing other mod's.

So -
Step 1: Install this jailbreak.
Even if you will never (knowingly) use it.

Step 2: Decide under what conditions you want the blockage effective.

Choice one: Use of Wifi (only) at a location where you can control the setup of the Wifi access point.
In this case, with many Wifi access points, you can block the destination IP ranges used to "phone home".

Note: Any AP running Linux - you can do this.
Worked example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...82&postcount=5

Note: Some AP running other OS - maybe you can do this.
Note: Will not have any effect over 3G - only over Wifi
Note: Requires zip, zero, nada changes to the Kindle (not even this jailbreak).
Note: Will work for **anything** connecting to your AP.

Choice two: Use of Wifi (and/or 3G) at any location.
In this case, the blockage is done **on the Kindle** and goes wherever the Kindle goes.

Note: This requires the Jailbreak to be installed.
Note: Requires modification of the Kindle's iptables.
Note: The address ranges to block are posted here (in my Chatty Katie thread among other places).
Note: Those posted address ranges where determined a year ago with the version 3 firmware.
Note: Those posted address ranges are in the process of being re-confirmed (or modified) for the Kpw verison 5.3.1 firmware.

(Like, as I type this, so info will be posted RSN)

Last edited by knc1; 12-27-2012 at 04:33 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote