View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histerius View Post
Well, it's on the publisher to prepare the manuscript for publishing. Amazon is our friend, of course, but it's just a middleman, so it's our decision to buy books from a certain publisher or not.
When I go to the grocery store I expect the store owner to determine what goes on the shelves. If the product is of poor quality I think it should be missing from the shelves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Some of it is not due so much to negligence as to bad e-book file prep and buggy conversion tools.
This is what I believe is happening. The person that does the type setting then runs the output through a converter, uses the equivalent of a spell checker and ships it off to the retailer. This doesn't work to well for the same reason PDF documents don't convert well to EPUB. Of course, one of the big problems is MS Word that so many authors use. In this case it's "garbage out to garbage in to more garbage out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I find nearly all self published ebooks I have bought on Amazon have no TOC.
I figured it must be due to the publishing software Amazon uses.
I recently bought a couple of non-DRMs epubs from Fictionwise (self published) that did not have a TOC. It took me no more than twenty minutes to reformat, build a TOC and use Calibre to convert to Mobi (for the wife's Kindle) so I take a dim view of poor formatting.

Regards to all- John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote