View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #14
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Cripes. I have just done my first conversion from epub to mobi (using kindlegen, reading in Kindle app on iPad) and the results are somewhat alarming:

The front cover image is repeated on the second page
There is no navigational TOC
Justified text doesn't hyphenate
Headings (aligned left in CSS) do hyphenate
CSS working properly? Does Kindle treat H1, H2 etc in a default fashion? Or does it use the CSS? If the former, am I best to style all headings with P tags in order for Kindle to use my CSS?

Lastly, and very worryingly, when I use the internal TOC (the toc on a page within the text) to navigate, the headings I've used as hyperlink destinations display incorrectly.

i.e.: If I view the 'Chapter 1' heading by scrolling through the book, the heading style appears almost as I have designed it (perhaps a little larger than it does in the epub).

BUT, if I use the TOC text links to navigate to that destination, the heading style applied to 'Chapter 1' has changed! It now appears much smaller than the CSS specifies.

I haven't edited MOBI at all as yet. I was hoping Kindlegen would be a one step process but this looks like another learning curve. Are Amazon's auto conversions as unpredictable as all of this?

Last edited by virtual_ink; 08-29-2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: for clarity, i hope
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote