View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Only $2 a month? That is $1 an issue.
My Economist and New Scientist subscriptions are each only $1.40 an issue, and that is for a complete, full-sized magazine, with well researched articles.
I'd say it shows the enormous profit possible when you charge close to full magazine price for something more like a large pamflet.
[Edit: Hadn't spotted it was twice monthly.]
$1 per issue without ads.

Subscription prices for The Economist and New Scientist are $2.50 per issue where I live, with advertising. Keep in mind, though, those publications have the advantage of massive scale, which a startup like The Magazine lacks; it may get cheaper or the quality may improve to become more "magazine-like" with time, it's hard to say after only a month.

Still, if I recall correctly, The Economist is one of(?) the only magazines that is increasing its print revenue despite the upheaval of the publishing industry. That's very impressive, too.

To return to the mobile side of things, New Scientist doesn't offer a native reading application for phones or tablets. The Economist's isn't bad, but hasn't yet been updated for the iPhone 5 (boo).
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote