View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Looking for a reader for my wife

I have been looking to buy a new ebook reader for my wife and, as of yet, have not come up with a suitable choice. I want to get her something that is easy to use and has a good battery life. WiFi would also be nice, but is not really a deal breaker.

I have been mostly bouncing back and forth between the Sony 350, the B&N Nook, and the Kobo ebook reader. I like aspects of all three, but I also have concerns about all three. Hopefully you fine folks can help me out.

The new Sony sounds spiffy-keen and I have always liked Sony's devices, but the price, lack of WiFi, and my past experience with the Sony's slow refresh rates after being hooked up to a PC or turned off all make it seem like a less than wise option for my wife.

The B&N Nook has the advantage of price and the B&N store, but the battery life, lack of a true touch screen, and (the big drawback in my opinion) lack of ability to put books into either collections or folders really makes me pause.

The new Kobo seems to address a lot of my desires without costing an arm and a leg, but the lack of a touch screen and its past poor performance make me wonder if this new one will be another disappointment waiting to happen.

Before anyone mentions it, I have already ruled out the K3 due to Amazon's ability to remove books from the device, the keyboard (which just seems pointless), and their annoying and snobbish commercials (specifically the one where the smug bikini clad woman says in response to a simple question, "It's a Kindle, only $139...I paid more for these sunglasses.").

Any input that anyone cares to give me on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 10-13-2010 at 02:01 PM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote