Thread: Troubleshooting Indexing is truly vexing ...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #38
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
I use a spreadsheet where I also note down what I bought and how much it costed me, and I note also whether I read it or not. I need that because I noticed one day that I had bought twice a book and I did not notice. Memory is not what is used to be, and anyway with so many books .....

For the practical purpose of dealing with the reader, though, I have created a boolean attribute in Calibre, which tells me whether I have read the ebook or not.
I look at all this complexity, and I think 'why?' (though reader synchronization may be a reason: I have only one). I just keep my unread books in an unread collection on the kindle, the read ones in a read collection, the being-read ones in an 'Active' collection (chosen to be near the start of the alphabet, since the PW always alphasorts collection names), and shuffle them from one to the other to keep track of them. If the Kindle gets full (ha! ha! nowhere near, give me a few years), some of the stuff in the read collection gets deleted and goes back to live in the clouds (if Amazon-bought) or in my calibre backup (otherwise, though I'm tempted to push all of those through personal documents email just so that *everything* can live in the cloud, for consistency).

This is simple and requires essentially no effort. It can't track what books I've already bought, though, that's true, but then that's a problem I already have in physical bookshops, and at least Amazon can often warn you that you already bought something.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote