Thread: 903 A total wipe clean?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
dtanis
Enthusiast
dtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud of

Device: PocketBook Pro 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Just remember that formating the internal memory and or installing new firmware doesn't return the device to factory state.
For example if you haven't already lost those dictionaries that pocketbook ambushed us with (saying they expired and deleting them with a firmware update) or the default books that came with the device, you'll probably loose them.
You're right that formatting the internal FAT-partition doesn't restore the device to factory state. It only restores the basic configuration and the device manuals (but not the pre-installed books) . About the dictionaries I can say the following. All dictionaries stored in the system/dictionaries folder on the FAT-partition will be gone but the pre-installed dictionaries on the secure partition in the internal memory (which can't be seen by the user or accessed via the PC and can only be accessed by certain pre-installed applications like Adobe Reader etc.) are not lost. I tested it myself. So if you make a complete backup (including the system dir) of the internal FAT-partition, you can always restore the additional dictionaries which were the stored on the FAT-partition later.

You're right that after upgrading the FW you can lose some of the pre-installed dictionaries on the secure partition. I don't find this a real problem anymore. There are a lot free dictionaries (or dictionary sources which can be converted nicely) around on the net which have a better quality and have more words than the pre-installed versions, especially for European languages. So, if you're afraid that you're going to lose a dictionary by upgrading, then just search for a replacement on the net. The Babylon free dictionaries (http://www.babylon.com/free-dictionaries/) is a good source to find a good replacement dictionary. These dictionaries can be converted nicely to the PB dictionary format.
dtanis is offline   Reply With Quote