View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
As we live out in the middle of farmland with nothing but gravel roads, my daughter was very late in learning how to ride her two-wheeler without training wheels and was embarrassed because friends her age and younger (who lived in town) could ride effortlessly. My husband and I would haul her bike to the nearest playground, so she could practice on the smooth pavement of the tennis or basketball courts, which still wasn't often enough for her to overcome her fear of falling. But, of course, she finally did get it!

I'll never forget (nor will my family let me) the first time the three of us went biking on a local trail. As she was riding ahead with her dad, I, being the ever-so-proud mom, whipped out my digital camera, to take a picture of them both from behind and capture that precious Kodak moment, while I was still pedaling away. I probably don't have to tell you what happened, but I totally wiped out and it was messy (lots of blood and ground-in grit on my left hand, elbow, knee and shin), and painfully embarrassing (and painful physically which I tried not to let on, for my daughter's sake)! If I had some chalk, I would've had someone draw a chalk line around my body! My daughter was completely mortified , while my husband was dumb-founded that I would even think of doing such a thing. My camera came away with only a small dent, but after all I went through, regretably I still didn't get the photo!

Now whenever I ride, my daughter and husband give me the "hands-on-the-bars at all times" lecture. (Like I didn't learn my lesson ) and on our first hike this year my daughter had to point out every single rut or branch or dip in the trail! I couldn't even enjoy the scenery as I was too busy watching my feet and the ground! So humiliating!
(Moral: Pride comes before the fall!)

Last edited by rebarnmom; 05-02-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Clarification and moral
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote