View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Beware: thread hijack alert;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
BTW, as long as you're reading - I use dyndns to get "around this inconvenience."
So do I. It also works with fixed ip addresses, as long as the router occasionally reports them. My DG834 seems to talk to dyndns every so often, because I never get warned.

Quote:
Every now and then, I decide to stop using it, and turn on the automatic dyndns update built into my router. The router method seems to work perfectly, as I never lose access, but after a month or two I get an email from dyndns telling me I haven't logged in or updated in a month and they're terminating my free account! Then I switch back to the prog method of update and all goes well.

Does it make sense to you that the dynamic IP remains unchanged for more than a month,
I have seen that. I once had a dynamic address that was stable for 6 months.
Quote:
so the router never updates?
If the router never updates, then I claim it is broken. All dyndns clients should know they must update within 30 days, even if nothing has changed. Most that I know of update every week. What router do you have?
Quote:
I've occasionally mentioned to others they can just use the built-in router dyndns updater, but now I wonder if that's not a good idea.
It should work. It has worked for me with various netgear, level 1 and dlink routers.

Taking a guess, I would say that you have a stable 'dynamic' address and that your router is trying but failing to update. If you turn dyndns on in your router, it should update and you should see the refresh date change on dyndns. If it does not, then something is probably wrong with the setup. I would guess password, but it could be any of client, dynamic host name, user name, or password. Of course, you could have a router with a non-conforming client.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote