View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #113
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Well, books are a different use case to magazines and newspapers. Can we ignore newspapers as they have a range of formatting from 'like a web page' to 'as print'?

Books, you want the best combination of width, weight, and screen resolution (ppi) - which is partially dependent on the size of your hands and the quality of your eyesight. Screen size isn't so important, but most eReaders are comfortable with 6", and you're starting to sacrifice convenience for words on the page much beyond that.

So (without owning any of the above, but going by the reviews) I'd give Books to the Nexus 7, on the grounds that while the Kindle app is available for all the tablets it's easier to step outside of Amazon with the Nexus than the Kindle Fire HD. The iPad's size scores against it, and the iPad mini has a lower screen resolution (and costs more than the other smaller devices).

Magazines, you really need screen space with good resolution. I'm not convinced that 7" devices are big enough to read magazines comfortably. Even on my 10" tablet I find that I always have to zoom into the page with Zinio, and the amount of scrolling around will be much higher with the smaller tablets. Here I think the retina 9.7" iPads must shine, as the higher resolution (than on my tablet) will make the zoomed out pages more readable.

The device not on your list, though, which might bridge the gap is the Nook HD.

Graham
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote